Department of Educational Psychology,
Faculty of Education,
University of Colombo
TP: +94 (0)11-2504734 (office)
- Dr. rer.nat.(Psy)(Doctor rerum natural science in Psychology)Merit pass, University of Leipzig, Germany (2009)
- Master in Arts in Education, University of West of England, England (2004)
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo, (2005)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education, Distinction, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka (2002)
- Diploma in Counseling and Psychology, Institute of Psychology, Sri Lanka (2000)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA Psychology) (Second Upper) University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (1999)
- Travel and hospitality award from University of Leipzig/Germany and DAAD 2014, “Dyslexia and Trauma” ,International Conference and Workshop, MOU with University of Colombo and University of Leipzig
- Awarded the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) 2006-2010 Reading for Doctoral Degree
- Awarded the National Education Research and Evaluation Centre 2003 -2004, Reading for the Masters- University of West of England-UK
- Research Grants 2010, “Student Aggression in Schools” University of Colombo
- Educational Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Special Education
- Clinical Psychology
- Senarath, S. (2013). Long-term Psychosocial Consequences and Mediator Intervention for Children and Adolescents Affects by the Tsunami 2004 in Sri Lanka. (p.249-272) Witruk E. & Wilcke A. (Eds.) , Historical and Cross –Cultural Aspects of Psychology. Frankfurt et al: Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften Peter Lang. GmbH:Frankfurt.
- Witruk, E., Senarath, S., & von Lieres, S. (2010). Disaster Aid Activities in Tsunami and Earthquake Affected Regions of Sri Lanka, Indonesia and India. (p. 369-397) In E. Witruk, D. Riha, A. Teichert, D. Haase, & M. Stueck (Eds.), Learning, Adjustment and Stress Disorders. Frankfurt et al: Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften Peter Lang. GmbH: Frankfurt.
- Senarath ,S. (2014). Teachers’ Knowledge and attitudes towards the dyslexic children in Sri Lanka. A paper presented at the International conference “Dyslexia and Traumatic Experiences” held at the New Senate Hall, Department of Educational and Rehabilitative Psychology, Institute of Psychology, University of Leipzig, Germany. December 5th and 6th 2014.
- Effect of Psychological Intervention on Student Aggression. A paper presented at the Annual research symposium, held at the Faculty of Education University of Colombo, 24th November 2014.
- Literature review to investigate the relationship between the level of emotional intelligence and the level of aggression of adolescents. Joint paper presented (Senarath, S. and Abeypala, A.) at the Annual research symposium, Faculty of Education, University of Colombo, 24th November 2014.
- Auto regulation treatment methods and tsunami children, A paper presented at the 6 th Annual Academic Sessions (2011) of the Faculty of Education . Open University of Sri Lanka
- Relationships between post-traumatic stress disorder and coping strategies in Children’s post disaster adjustment. A paper presented at the Annual research symposium,(2011) Faculty of Education ,University of Colombo.
- Mediator Intervention and Auto Regulation Treatment methods for children and adolescents affected by the tsunami 2004 in Sri Lanka , Annual research Symposium (2010), Faculty of Education, University of Colombo.
- Mediator intervention for children and adolescents affected by the tsunami 2004 in Sri Lanka. 12th International conference on Sri Lanka Studies “ Sri Lanka after the war: prevention of recurrence , Reaching for Prosperity” (2010) The royal Asiatic society of Sri Lanka and The Open University of Sri Lanka
- Painting therapy for disaster affected trauma children. A paper presented at the Research Colloquium, (2009) Department of Educational Psychology and Rehabilitative Psychology, University of Leipzig,
- Mediator intervention for natural disaster- affected Adolescences’ long-term Anxiety. A paper presented at the International workshop-Rehabilitative and First Aid Psychology, Leipzig 17th February 2009.
- Psychological adjustment and mediator intervention for children and adolescents affected by the Tsunami 2004 in Sri Lanka. A paper presented at the International Conference (2009): Historical Aspects of psychology-with special reference to the 130th anniversary of the psychological institute in Leipzig and learning and adjustment disasters-with special reference to disaster affected regions. Held at the Villa Tillmanns, Leipzig. 13th and 14th November 2009.
- The psychological adjustment of school children and adolescents affected by the tsunami (post-traumatic stress disorder). A paper presented at the International Conference-UNU-EHS_DAAD special seminar on disaster –risk –reduction and sustainable development in tsunami affected countries, (2007) German Academic Exchange Service. Bonn. January 2007
- The psychological adjustment of children and adolescents affected by the tsunami in Sri Lanka , A paper presented at the International Conference and workshop-psychology Yogyakarta and in Leipzig-Special teaching and research problems. 2007 Germany
- Long-term psychosocial problems: PTSD, Anxiety, Educational and Social Relationships difficulties of the disaster affected children. A paper presented at the Research Colloquium, Department of Educational Psychology and Rehabilitative Psychology, University of Leipzig, Germany 2007
- Senarath S. (2014) Children’s Aggression and Prevention and Intervention, Journal of Counseling 6, 34-38
- Senarath, S. (2012). Psychological Effects of Hatha Yoga, Journal of Counseling, 3, 43-47
- Senarath, S. (2011). Counsellors’ Role of Intervention, Journal of Counseling, 1, 95-100
- Senarath S. (2006). Counselor’s Role and Ethical Issues. Journal of Education 37, 40-50
- Senarath S. (2005). Is it good punishment for children? Magazine of Psychology, 24. 60-68
- Psychological Adjustment and Mediator intervention for tsunami affected children in Sri Lanka. (2009) Unpublished: Dissertation submitted to the University of Leipzig in fulfillment of the requirement for the Doctor rerum in natural science in Psychology
- An identification of the need for counseling to support the psychological adjustment of children affected by war in Sri Lanka. (2004) Dissertation submitted to the University of West of England in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the award of the Masters in Arts in Education.
- Need of School Counseling Service for School System (2002) Dissertation Submitted to the Faculty of Education, University of Colombo in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the award of the Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
- Educational Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- School Counselling
- Counselling Psychology
- Theories of Counseling
- Techniques of Counseling
- Counseling Skills
- Research Method
- Teachers’ Knowledge and attitudes towards the dyslexic children in Sri Lanka. 2014
- Effect of Psychological Intervention on Student Aggression. 2014
- Identification on Dyslexic Children in School Setting, Anxiety and Their Self-esteem 2013
- Need of psychological Counseling for university students’ problems 2012
- Examination Stress and Coping ability of the Advanced Level Students 2011
- Students Aggression in Schools 2011
- PTSD and Coping Tsunami affected children and Adolescents 2010
- Mediator Intervention for Tsunami Affected Children 2007-2008
- Anxiety in War affected children and adolescents in Borderline Villages 2004
- A Review on Learning and Preparedness Education in Emergencies in Sri Lanka, EML consultants, Save the Children and Ministry of Education 2013
- International Research on deception, Charles Bond, a Researcher from the Department of Psychology, Taxas Christain University, Research study with professor Raja Gunawardena. 2003
- Research team member in School Based Assessment research project 2005, NEREC, Faculty of Education , University of Colombo
- Research team member General Ability Test Battery (GATB) 2005, NEREC, Faculty of Education, University of Colombo
Involvement with other universities and organizations
- Research and collaborative works with Department of Educational and Rehabilitative Psychology, Institute of Psychology II, University of Leipzig, Germany 2006-todate
- Exam assistant , for masters students(oral examination) Department of Educational and Rehabilitative Psychology, Institute of Psychology II, University of Leipzig from 2007-2009
- Visiting Lecturer, Diploma in Psychology, University of Kelaniya 2010-2011.
- Visiting Lecturer, Higher Diploma in Counseling and Diploma in Drugs Counseling Institute of Human Resource Advancement, University of Colombo 2011 to date
- Visiting Lecturer, Diploma in Counseling, National Institute of Social Development (NISD) 2013 to date
- M. A. and M. Phil Supervision and Examiner, University of Kelaniya
- Chief Examiner- Postgraduate diploma in Education, for Educational Psychology and School Counseling, National Institute of Education (NIE) 2013, 2014
- Resource person “Counseling Skills workshop” for University Academic- Students Counsellors SLFI collaboration with University Grant Commission 2014
- Resource person for special public lecture/Seminar “Psychology and Education: How can you help your child learn better? 2014 – Sri Lanka Foundation (SLFI)
- Consultant and curriculum developer as a Subject Specialist (Psychology), developed Psychology curriculum (Eight subjects) in General Degree Arts, (2013-2014) QIG project- Window- University of Kelaniya
- Consultant and curriculum developer and served as a panel member Benchmark document preparation committee for the Diploma in Counseling Course, (2013-2014) National Institute of Social Development (NISD).
- Resource person SLAES offices training, ‘Need of Educational Psychology for Education System “ National Institute of Education (NIE) 2013
- Resource person for Curriculum Development for the Postgraduate Diploma in Counseling Course 2012 , National Institute of Education (NIE)
- Developed a Module “Research Ethics” for M.Phil and PhD program, Faculty of Education, (2013 )
- Followed a short course on “Yoga Therapy” From 14 th October- 25th October 2014 University of Paramand Trust, Indore. India Yoga
- Participated in a Trauma therapy and counseling, Department of Educational Psychology Faculty of Education, University of Colombo 03 March 2015
- Participated in a Trauma Therapy: Imagery Reprocessing Response Therapy (IRRT). Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy with Institute of Psychotherapy, University of Leipzig, Germany. 2009
- Participated in a 36 hour coaching program for trainers” psychological help and trauma therapy for victims and helpers in the tsunami catastrophe” conducted by the university of Leipzig .Germany in collaboration with the Faculty of Education. 03-06 March 2006.
- Reviewer, 2nd international Conference on Social Sciences of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Kelaniya, 2012
- Reviewer, Annual Research symposium, Faculty of Education, University of Colombo, 2014
Departmental and university activities and responsibilities
- Currently supervising 3 PhD students, 7 M.Phil students and 15 M.Ed students
- Head of the Department 2013 to date
- Temporary student Counsellor 2002, 2004-2006, 2009-2013
- Permanent Students Counselor 2014 to date
- Senate member , University of Colombo (August) 2013
- A Member of the Board of Management, Physical Education, University of Colombo 2010-2014.
- A Member of the management Committee of the Day Care Centre and Academic coordinator of the Preschool, University of Colombo. 2013 to date
- Coordinator- Bachelor of Education Part I ,(English Medium), Faculty of Education 2013 to date
- Coordinator -Masters Education (fulltime) , Faculty of Education 2014 to date
- Co-coordinator Postgraduate Diploma in Counseling , (part-time) Course, Department of Educational Psychology, Faculty of Education 2005-2006, 2009 to date
- Associate Member of National Evaluation Research and Education (NEREC) Faculty of Education, University of Colombo 2002-2006