Annual Research Symposium 2015 of the faculty of Education was held on 30th October 2015 from 8.30 am to 3.30 pm.
This year theme of the symposium is Education and social cohesion.
The keynote speaker was Dr. Riidiger Blumor Programme Coordinator , Education for social cohesion Programme, GIZ Sri Lanka .
The chief guest was the Vice Chancellor of the University of Colombo, Senior Professor Lakshman Dissanayake.
There were two parallel sessions and 18 papers were presented by staff and post graduate students of the faculty.
1.Education for social cohesion in the context of the Sri Lankan school system
Dr. Riidiger Blumor
2. An inquiry into the students’ readiness for self-directed learning
L.M. Kapila Banadara
3.Predictive validity of grade 5 scholarship test
4. Assessing soft skills of Bachelor of Education undergraduates
5. Challenges of shifting to bilingual medium education in state universities : a case study
6. A study on the nature and impact of the ICT subject on Post Graduate Diploma in Education students
7. Primary teacher experiences, awareness and benifits about the children with reading and writing disability
8. Towards Quality : Critical analysis of curriculum practices of teachers at the classroom level
9. Teaching of second national language (2NL) in Sri Lanka : success and failure in achieving objectives of 2NL
S.Athirathan , M.Karunanithy
10. Teaching second national language in tamil schools: the case of Batticaloa district in Sri Lanka
Virajith Gamage, A.M.Hettige
11. An inquiry into the learning environment of bilingual mathemtics classrooms in Sri Lanka
12. ‘Shifters ‘ in bilingual education : problems and challenges of learning through a second language
M.Perera, S.A.Kularathne PDF
13. Efficacy of “micro teaching” in teacher education ; developing teaching skills of prospective teachers
14. Crossing the cultural boundaries :developng interlectual competence of Engish language teachers
Shashini R.Tennakoon, W.M.Pragnadarshana
15. An investigation of the present status of self-regulated learnin skills of university students studying in the open and distance learning environment
D.Vajira Manjarie De Silva
16. Designing EAP material for low english proficience (LEP) undergraduates : Application of principles of curriculum design
17. Improving achievement in chemistry of G.C.E (A/L) students developing effective learning and teaching strategies
18. Nature of science: is it a base for lesson planning?
19. Optimal learning environment for difficult area schools
20. Altering academic behavior : aprerequisite for classroom intervention to improve academic performance
21. A gender-based analysis of the school library usage trends of the new entrants : a case study
Pradeepa Wijethunga, Kalpana Manathunga