The Department of Humanities Education is an active operational body, which functions with a broad perspective under the authority of the University of Colombo. I would like to enlighten you on the contribution of our department towards the knowledge society.
The Department undertakes tasks with a special tendency to develop the mental alertness of an individual. We extend our services to the community in collaboration with the university students as well as the other formal and non formal agencies.
Department of Humanities Education was established as one of the four departments of the newly formed Faculty of Education in September 1975. At that time the teaching of the following academic subjects was assigned to this department.
- Philosophy of Education
- Principles of Education
- Religious and Moral Education
- Life-Long Education
- Curriculum and Methodology in Languages
- Aesthetic subjects
- Cultural studies and the work connected with the proposed translation Unit.(Annual Report, 1976)
The vision is to be a partner in the Endeavor of making human kind more humane there by facilitating the advancement of new vistas of knowledge and practice in education.
The mission is to contribute to the development of competent, committed and innovative professional educators for teaching, research and service to the nation through the teaching of subjects related to man and his culture
- Dr.L.M.Kapila Bandara – Senior Lecturer
- Ms. S.N. Rajendram – Lecturer
- Dr. S.S. Dahanayake – Senior Lecturer
- Dr.(Ms.) E.S. Neranjani – Senior Lecturer
- Ms. A.C.I. Kinkini – Lecturer
- Mr. Chamika Hathlahawaththa – Lecturer
- Mr. A Paunanthie -Lecturer
- Ms. R.A.D.R.W. Kumari – Staff Assistant
- Mr. Sheran Gamage – Works Aide