Objectives and Activities of NEREC
01. To provide and maintain expertise in the areas of educational research, evaluation, development, and measurement.
02. To initiate and carry out research and evaluation studies in education relevant to educational policy and student learning in Sri Lanka.
03. To provide research based findings for national policy formulation.
04. To maintain documentation and databases on education in Sri Lanka that will be available to educational researchers.
05. To initiate and facilitate international co-operation in research and evaluation activities.
06. To disseminate the findings of research and evaluation carried out in Sri Lanka and elsewhere that are relevant to Sri Lankan education.
07. To develop research and evaluation capacity in Sri Lanka by providing training services