Postgraduate Diploma in Education ( Teaching of English as a Second Language) – Full Time Course
The Department of Humanities Education, Faculty of Education, University of Colombo offers the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Teaching of English as a Second Language) course to cater to the needs of teachers of English as a Second Language in the system. The aim of this course is to promote academic and professional development of teachers, teacher educators, principals of schools and others in the field of Education, especially in the teaching of English as a second language.
Individuals possessing a good knowledge of English and the following qualifications are eligible to apply:
- A Special Degree in English from the University of Colombo oran equivalent Degree OR
- A General Degree from the University of Colombo or an equivalent Degree with English as a subject OR
- A Degree obtained in the English Medium, from the University of Colombo or an equivalent Degree (all subjects in the English Medium)
Selection Procedure: Language Proficiency Test and Interview
The PGDE (TESL) is a one year full time course. A minimum attendance of 80% in every subject is a prerequisite to sit the examination. Lectures are conducted from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. all five days of the week.
If selected for the Course, it is the responsibility of the student to obtain leave for the duration of the course from relevant authorities.
Inquiries regarding leave should be made to relevant authorities and not to the Department of Humanities Education or Faculty of Education, University of Colombo.
Course fee: LKR 45,000.00
The evaluation system comprises of both In course evaluation and End of course evaluation.
- In Course Evaluation: (30% of the total marks)In Course Evaluation consists of both oral and written assessments. Presentations, practical group work activities, classroom tests and workshops are some of the ways in which the students will be assessed.
- End of Course Evaluation: (70% of the total marks) The End of Course Evaluation is a written examination of not less than three hours duration.
- Dissertation: A minor dissertation (written) will have to be submitted before the end of the course.
Structure of the Curriculum:
The curriculum spreads across two semesters which comprise of two sectors each, in the following order.
Semester 1 : Sector I (10 weeks), sector II(5 weeks)
Semester 2 : Sector I (5 weeks), sector II(10weeks)
- Course Units spreading only across the two sectors of semester 1 (Category 1)
Philosophical and Sociological Bases of Education
Psychological Bases of Education
Methodology of Teaching English
English Language & Applied Linguistics
- Course Units spreading across the two sectors of semester 1 and the sector I of semester 2 (Category II)
Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- Course Units spreading across the sector II of semester 1 and the sector I of semester 2 (Category III)
Educational Assessment and Evaluation
- The Course Unit covering the sector II of semester 2 (Category IV)
The PGDE (TESL) course includes ten-weeks of practicum (Teaching Practice). The students are required to teach in a school in close proximity to the University. The students will be provided with a list of schools to make their choices.
The PGDE (TESL) students will be observed by two supervisors individually, evaluated and graded during the ten-weeks of Practicum. An excellent grade in Teaching Practice is a precondition for the conferment of a Merit or Distinction pass at the final examination.
Disclaimer: It is hereby informed that the above information is only for general information and is not for official purposes. Any information contained herein shall be confirmed by reference to the relevant authority.