About Us

The Faculty of Education, University of Colombo

Historical Background

1949 A Department of Education was set up in the University of Ceylon(Colombo)
1957 The Department of education was shifted to Peradeniya
1972 A Department of Education was again set up in the University of Colombo
1973 The Department of Education was elevated to Faculty status
1975 With effect from the first of January the Departments of Education of the Peradeniya, Vidyalankara and Vidoyadaya Universities were brought to Colombo and merged with the Faculty of Education.In September, four Departments were set up in the Faculty of Education

The Department of Humanities Education

The Department of Social Science Education

The Department of Educational Psychology

The Department of Science and Technology Education

1978 The Faculty of Education moved into the newly constructed building on Bauddhaloka Mawatha(the faculty had till then operated temporarily from the Samson Bungalow on Reid Avenue)